Laceby (St. Margaret)
LACEBY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Grimsby; containing 755 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road between Caistor and Grimsby, and comprises 2037a. 2r. 31p., of which about 1300 acres are arable, 700 pasture, and 30 woodland. The surface of the country is undulated, and very beautiful, and the soil a rich loam, well watered and fenced, and capable of producing every kind of grain. The village is on the banks of the Laceby beck, which intersects the parish, and abounds in fine trout; a new bridge was built over the stream in 1841. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 0. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Birkett: the tithes have been commuted for £535, and the glebe consists of 19 acres, with an excellent parsonage-house, erected near the church, at the expense of the Rev. J. Birkett, in 1834. The church is an ancient structure, with a handsome tower, and a very neat interior, containing about 240 sittings. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Sarah Stamford, in 1720, built a school, and endowed it with 70 acres of land, under the will of Philip Stamford, dated 1712; the income is partly applied to apprenticing boys.