Kyre, Great (St. Mary)
KYRE, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county of Worchester, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Tenbury; containing 160 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Herefordshire, and the road from Tenbury to Bromyard intersects it from north to south. It consists of 1406 acres, of arable and pasture land, and hopground, with many orchards. Stone is quarried for reparing the roads. Kyre House, pleasantly situated, was formerly the seat of the Pytts family; it now belongs to the family of Childe. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 17. 8½., and in the gift of William Lacon Childe, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £170, and the glebe comprises 37½ acres, and a small house. The church is an irregularly built edifice, with a wood spire: the chancel contains some handsome monuments to the family of Pytts. An almshouse for eight widows, who each receive half-a-crown weekly, with coat and clothing, was founded under the will of Ann Pytts, in 1715.