Knoyle, East (St. Mary)
KNOYLE, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mere, hundred of Downton, Hindon and S. divisions of the county of Wilts, 2¼ miles (S. W.) from Hindon; containing, with the tythings of Milton and Upton, 1038 inhabitants, of whom 541 are in the tything of Knoyle. The parish comprises 5558 acres, of which 125 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £910, and the glebe comprises 111 acres. The gallery of the church has been enlarged. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The sum of £11 per annum, arising from bequests, is applied towards the support of a school; and there is a fund of about £80 per annum, left by various persons, for apprenticing children, and for the benefit of the poor. The celebrated architect, Sir Christopher Wren, was a native of the parish, of which his father was rector.