Knowle, Church (St. Peter)
KNOWLE, CHURCH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Hasilor, Wareham division of Dorset, 1 mile (W.) from Corfe-Castle; containing, with the tythings of Bradle and East Creech, 463 inhabitants, of whom 183 are in the tything of Church-Knowle. The parish forms a vale between two ranges of the Purbeck hills, and comprises 3427 acres, chiefly meadow and pasture land; about 1400 acres are common or waste: the soil in general is a stiff loamy clay. In the northern part are pits of pipeclay of the kind used in the manufacture of the Colebrook-Dale china; the produce is carried by means of a small railroad to the mouth of the Froome, and thence is shipped to various quarters. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 17. 6.; net income, £285; patron, Lieut.-Col. Mansel. The church, which is in the early style of architecture, contains 400 sittings.