KNOWLE, a village and chapelry, in the parish of Hampton-in-Arden, union of Solihull, Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 10 miles (S. E.) from Birmingham, and 10 (N. W.) from Warwick; containing 1208 inhabitants. It derives its name from its situation on the summit of a knoll or hill: this hill is supposed to have been the site of a Roman station, and the opinion has been in some degree confirmed by the discovery, in an adjoining field, of an urn containing coins of the Lower Empire. The chapelry comprises 3265a. 3r. 11p., of which 1786 acres are arable, 1434 meadow and pasture, 9 woodland and plantations, and the remainder water and waste; the surface is varied. There are some quarries of limestone, but not now in operation. The village is on the Warwick and Birmingham turnpike-road, and the Warwick and Birmingham canal passes through the chapelry. A fair for cattle and sheep takes place annually, on the first Monday after St. Ann's day; and the petty-sessions for the division are held here, in conjunction with Solihull, on the first Saturday in every alternate month, during the winter season. The chapel, dedicated to St. Ann, is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains some ancient stalls and fragments of stained glass; a chantry was endowed by Walter Cook, canon of Lincoln, and founder of the chapel, in the reign of Richard II., and at the Dissolution it was valued at £18. 5. 6. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with lands purchased by Queen Anne's Bounty and producing £90 rental, and with £10 per annum from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests; total net income, £130; patron, W. H. J. Wilson, Esq. The great tithes, amounting to £450, are payable to the Master and Brethren of Leicester Hospital, Warwick; and the small tithes, £150, to the vicar of Hampton. There are various benefactions to the poor, the principal being that by Fulk Greville, Esq.