KNOWBURY, an ecclesiastical district, partly in the parish of Cainham, hundred of Stottesden, and partly in the parish of Bitterley, hundred of Overs, union of Ludlow, S. division of Salop, 4 miles (E.) from Ludlow. It stands elevated, on the Clee hills. Iron-ore of excellent quality, being remarkably elastic, is obtained; and extensive coal-mines are wrought, the produce of which is of a very superior description: some of it is so hard as to be made into beautiful vases, inkstands, and various ornaments. There are also stone-quarries. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford, with a net income of £100, and a house. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, and consecrated in January 1840, is a neat edifice with a tower; it stands on the hill side, and is a conspicuous object from all parts of the surrounding country. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A school is supported, chiefly by Lady Clive.