KNOTTY-ASH, an ecclesiastical district, in the district parish of West Derby, parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (E.) from Liverpool, on the road to Prescot. The situation of this locality is very beautiful, and its air salubrious; it contains several handsome mansions, and some of the principal merchants of Liverpool have seats and villas here. Knotty-Ash House is the property of the Worrall family. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees; income, £150, with a good house. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1836, and is a handsome edifice in the early English style, with a tower surmounted by a spire. There are schools in connexion with the church.