Knossington (St. Peter)
KNOSSINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4½ miles (W. by S.) from Oakham; containing 252 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1250 acres, chiefly pasture; the surface is very hilly, and the soil principally sand, in some parts alternated with clay. The low grounds are watered by a small river called the Gnash, which has its source in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 11. 8.; net income, £270; patron, Thomas Frewen, Esq.: the glebe comprises 42 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style; the tower has been rebuilt, and 70 additional sittings have been obtained. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An hospital for four widows of beneficed clergymen, who have each a stipend of £30 per annum, was founded by William Smith, of Croxton, who, in 1711, endowed it with an estate in the vale of Belvoir; the institution, having fallen into disuse, was revived in 1802, under an order in chancery, and a handsome building of brick was erected at an expense of £1096.