Knipton (All Saints)
KNIPTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Grantham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Grantham; containing 363 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1247a. 3r. 33p.; the soil consists of clay, sandy loam, and good red turnip-land. The surface is hilly; the lower grounds are watered by a small river called the Devon, and immediately above the village is a capacious reservoir for the Grantham canal. Stone of inferior quality is quarried for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 12. 3½.; net income, £261; patron, the Duke of Rutland. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1797; the glebe altogether comprises 53 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A national school is supported; and £25 per annum are appropriated from the funds of Chester's charity, at Barkestone, for distribution in bibles, and in coal and money, among the poor.