Knayton, with Brawith
KNAYTON, with Brawith, a township, in the parish of Leake, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 4 miles (N.) from Thirsk; containing 404 inhabitants. These places comprise about 1390 acres of land. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence on the road from Thirsk to Yarm: Brawith lies on the east bank of the small river Codbeck. Brawith Hall is a neat mansion, the property of the late Mr. Consett, who, in 1839, bequeathed his extensive estates to his nephew, named Preston, then eleven years of age, but to accumulate in the hands of trustees until 1860. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.