Knapton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
KNAPTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from North Walsham; containing 348 inhabitants. It comprises 1480a. 2r. 35p., of which 1325 acres are arable, and 113 meadow; the surface is undulated, and from the high grounds are fine views of the sea. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 1., and in the gift of Peter-House, Cambridge, and Lord Suffield, alternately: the tithes have been commuted for £475. The church is chiefly in the decorated and later styles, with a square embattled tower on the northwest: the remains of a beautifully carved screen separate the nave from the chancel; the roof of the former is of oak, elaborately carved with figures: the font is Norman.