Kirton-in-Lindsey (St. Peter and St. Paul)
KIRTON-in-Lindsey (St. Peter and St. Paul), a market-town and parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 18 miles (N. by W.) from Lincoln, and 150 (N. by W.) from London; containing 1835 inhabitants. The town is situated on the western declivity of an eminence commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. On Kirton Green stands the court-house, where the manorial-courts are held, and the records kept. The quarter-sessions for the parts of Lindsey are held here; also a court for the recovery of debts to the amount of £2. The house of correction is a large stone building, consisting of a centre and two wings. The market is on Saturday: fairs are held on July 18th and Dec. 11th, for cattle, woollen goods, and pedlery; and there are large cattlemarkets every fortnight during spring and autumn. The parish comprises upwards of 5000 acres by computation: the soil is rich, and the lands are principally arable; about a fifth part is excellent pasture. There are quarries of good blue limestone, which is used for building, and also burnt into lime. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £249. The church, which stands below the hill, is very ancient: it has a considerable portion in the early English style, and contains some circular-headed windows; also some curious oak seats, screenwork, and piscinæ. There are places of worship for Baptists, and Wesleyans both of the New and Old Connexion. The free grammar school having fallen into decay, a school was built at an expense of £200, in which about 100 children are taught on the national plan, by aid of an endowment of £77 per annum.