Kirton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
KIRTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Boston, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Boston; containing, with the chapelry of Brothertoft, 2092 inhabitants. This place was formerly a town of some importance, and had a weekly market and an annual fair, both of which have been long discontinued. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £21. 10. 10.; net income, £304; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Wardens of the Mercers' Company, London. The tithes were commuted for land in 1772. The church is a noble cruciform structure, in the decorated style, with a square tower ornamented with battlements and pinnacles. There is a chapel of ease at Brothertoft. Sir Thomas Middlecott left property for the endowment of a grammar school, which has not been carried into effect, a small school only being supported by a trifling portion of the funds. Almshouses for four widows were founded by Robert Hunt, in 1668.