Kirtlington (St. Mary)
KIRTLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Woodstock; containing 846 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 3490 acres. Here are quarries of good stone for building. The Oxford canal passes through the parish, which is also crossed by the Roman Akeman-street. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 9. 4.; net income, £358; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811. The church is an ancient and interesting structure, chiefly Norman, with later insertions; between the nave and the chancel is the lower stage of a massive Norman tower, of which the upper part has been taken down. In the east window are some fragments of stained glass, collected from the chapel of Wickham, near Banbury. The east end of the south aisle forms the sepulchral chapel of the Dashwood family, who have a mansion in the parish.