KIRKSTEAD, a parish, in the union of Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Tattershall; containing 180 inhabitants. The manor, with that of Tattershall, was given by William the Conqueror to Eudo, one of his Norman followers, whose son Hugh Fitz-Eudo, called the Breton, founded a Cistercian abbey in 1139, and endowed it with his possessions in this place. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and, from the remains of the foundation which yet exist, must have been of great extent. At the Dissolution the revenue was valued at £338. 13. 11. per annum. The parish is situated on the east bank of the river Witham, by which it has communication with Boston and Lincoln; it comprises by measurement 1440 acres. The living is a donative, in the patronage of Thomas Moore, Esq.; net income, £40. The church, which is supposed to have been built before the abbey, is in the early English style, having lancet windows at the sides and east end, and a beautiful ox-eye window over the entrance at the west end.