Kirk-Linton (St. Cuthbert)
KIRK-LINTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (E. by S.) from Longtown; containing, with the townships of Hethersgill, Middle-Quarter, and West Linton, 1902 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Line, comprises 9791a. 26p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £1. 1. 0½.; and in the patronage of the family of Dacre, with a net income of £98. The church is a good specimen of the Norman style. Here is a place of worship for the Society of Friends; and at Blackford is a schoolroom, licensed for the performance of divine worship. Near Kirk-Linton Hall are the remains of an ancient fortress. The celebrated watchmaker, George Graham, esteemed the best mechanic of his time, was a native of the parish; he died in 1751, and was interred in Westminster Abbey.