Kirklington (St. Mary)
KIRKLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bedale, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Howgrave, Sutton, and East Tanfield, 486 inhabitants, of whom 324 are in the township of Kirklington with Upsland, 6¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bedale. The parish comprises by computation 3700 acres, chiefly arable; there are about 600 acres of pasture, and 300 of woodland. Of the whole, about 280 acres are in the hamlet of Upsland, set out in two farms. The village, which is well built, is situated about a mile west of the Leeming-Lane. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 7. 3½.; net income, £1034; patron, the Hon. C. B. Wandesford: the tithes have been commuted for £771. The church is a large structure, with a fine tower. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of a Roman or Danish encampment.