Kirkley (St. Peter)
KIRKLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Lowestoft; containing 433 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by the sea, and on the north by the lake Lothing, comprises 450 acres by measurement. The village, with that of Pakefield, has a small fishery, which affords a supply for the neighbourhood. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 10½., and in the gift of Lord Boston: the tithes have been commuted for £137. 10., and the glebe comprises 19 acres. The church, an ancient structure, with a lofty tower serving as a landmark, consisted of two aisles, and was in ruins for many years prior to 1750, when the south aisle was rebuilt.