KIRKLAND, a township, in the parish and union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S. W.) from Garstang; containing 408 inhabitants. This place is first mentioned in the inquisition taken in the 31st of Henry III., which certifies that William de Lancaster died seised, among other lands, of Kirkland. After the lapse of a century, it belonged to William de Kirkland, whose name was derived from his residence, and who died in 1363. It was subsequently possessed by Sir John de Coupeland, and John de Botiler, the latter of whom had married Alice, the heiress of the manors, and from whom proceeded the Butlers, of Kirkland. Thomas Butler, Esq., of this family, took the surname of Cole, in November 1816. The township is bounded by the river Wyre on the east and south, and comprises 895 acres, principally grass-land. Garstang parish church is in the township, standing in a village hence called Garstang Church-Town. Kirkland Hall, the seat of Thomas Butler Cole, Esq., was built about three centuries ago; various additions have since been made to the mansion, which is surrounded by thirty acres of plantations. A school is endowed with £37 per annum.