Kirkland (St. Lawrence)
KIRKLAND (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the chapelry of Culgaith and the township of Skirwith, 887 inhabitants, of whom 233 are in the township of Kirkland with Blencarn, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Penrith. The parish comprises 7693a. 2r. 24p., of which 3052 acres are arable, 4625 pasture, and 16 wood. Its surface is boldly varied, rising into hills of mountainous elevation, and the high pasture lands are principally grazed by sheep; about 1000 acres are improvable common. Coal was wrought at Ardale, in the parish, by the late Sir Michael Le Fleming, and on Cross Fell is a mine of lead called Bullman-Hills Vein, the ore of which contains a considerable proportion of silver; copper-ore is also found, and a smelting-furnace has been erected. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 10.; net income, £221; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an ancient structure. There is a chapel at Culgaith.