Kirkby-Underdale (All Saints)
KIRKBY-UNDERDALE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 6½ miles (N.) from Pocklington; containing 324 inhabitants. It is on the road from Bridlington to York, and comprises by computation 5049 acres, of which 3549 are arable, 1260 pasture, and 240 woodland. The surface is diversified by hill and dale; the soil is a loam, with flint in the higher grounds, and clay in the valleys. One of the highest hills is about 800 feet above the level of the sea, and descends gradually to the plain of York; another hill is of the oolite formation, being the only one of the kind for many miles distant. The village stands near a rapid declivity of the Wolds, and the scenery around is varied and pleasing. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £840. 10., and the glebe comprises 91 acres. The church is an ancient edifice in the Norman style, with a square tower, and very picturesquely situated; it underwent a thorough repair, at a considerable expense, in 1827. Dr. Thirlwall, Bishop of St. David's, was rector from 1833 to 1840.