Kirkby, South (All Saints)
KIRKBY, SOUTH (All Saints), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Skelbrooke, and the townships of North and South Elmsall, and Hamphall-Stubbs, 1528 inhabitants, of whom 602 are in the township of South Kirkby, 8½ miles (S.) from Pontefract. The parish comprises by measurement 5600 acres, of which about 100 are woodland and plantations; of the remainder, rather more than two-thirds are arable, and nearly one-third pasture. Limestone forms the principal substratum of the eastern part of the parish, perhaps of one-half of the whole; and the substratum of the remainder is clay and sandstone. A good quarry of sandstone usually employs about 15 hands, and large quantities of ridge stones are sent westward for the manufactories. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 10. 2½.; net income, £244; patron and incumbent, the Rev. G. Allott: the tithes were commuted for land and a cornrent in 1807. The church is a neat structure, in the later English style, with a lofty tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.