Kirkby-Ravensworth (St. Peter and St. Felix)
KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH (St. Peter and St. Felix), a parish, in the union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 4¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Richmond; containing, with the townships of Ravensworth, Washton, Dalton, Gayles, New-Forest, and part of Newsham, 1451 inhabitants, of whom 109 are in the township of Kirkby-Ravensworth, or Kirkby-on-the-Hill. This parish comprises about 14,000 acres, of which a considerable number are moor, and the remainder arable, meadow, and pasture. Its surface is varied with hill and dale, and is in some parts well wooded; the soil is generally fertile. There are quarries of good freestone, two of which are extensively wrought; a copper-mine, also, discovered many years since, was wrought for a short time, but, not yielding a remunerating supply, was discontinued. The village, which is small but neatly built, is pleasantly situated on an eminence, commanding some fine views. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, the Bishop of Chester, as appropriator of the rectory, which is valued in the king's books at £25. 5. 2½. The church is a handsome edifice with a lofty embattled tower, erected in 1397, on the site of a more ancient church. The Grammar school and Hospital of St. John the Baptist were founded in 1556, by Dr. Dakyn, rector of the parish, who endowed them with lands at East Cowton, now producing £1100 per annum, for the instruction of boys, and the support of the aged and indigent. There are some remains of a castle founded by Bodin, ancestor of the Fitz-Hugh family.