Kirkby-Overblow (All Saints)
KIRKBY-OVERBLOW (All Saints), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Stainburn, and the townships of Kearby with Netherby, Rigton, and Sicklinghall, 1623 inhabitants, of whom 381 are in the township of Kirkby-Overblow, 6 miles (W.) from Wetherby. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Wharfe, and comprises 8038a. 2r. 11p., of which 2555 acres are arable, 4700 meadow and pasture, and 146 woodland: in Kirkby-Overblow township are 2296 acres. The surface is elevated, and the higher grounds command some beautiful views over the fertile Wharfdale; the lands are in high cultivation. There are quarries of good building-stone, which is also used for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 1. 0½.; net income, £944; patron, Col. Wyndham. The tithes of Kirkby-Overblow and Kearby with Netherby have been commuted for £472, and the glebe consists of 72 acres. The church, which is a spacious and venerable structure, was made collegiate, prior to the year 1364, for a provost and four chaplains. At Stainburn is a chapel. There are four places of worship for Wesleyans in the parish, and four schools; one of the schools, built in 1782, is endowed with 11 acres of land.