Kirkby-Mallory (All Saints)
KIRKBY-MALLORY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from Hinckley; containing, with the chapelry of Earl-Shilton, 2479 inhabitants, of whom 259 are in the township of Kirkby-Mallory. This place derived its name from the family of Malory, its ancient lords, the first of whom noticed in history was Geoffrey, father of Sir Ankitell Malory, Knt., governor of Leicester Castle under Robert Blanchmains, Earl of Leicester, in the reign of Henry II. During the earl's rebellion against that sovereign, Sir Ankitell marched a body of troops to Northampton, and having defeated the citizens, returned to Leicester laden with plunder; his lands in consequence became forfeited, and were seized for the king, in 1174, but were restored to his son on payment of a fine of 60 marks, in the first year of the reign of John. In the reign of Edward III. the manor was sold to the monks of Leicester, in whose possession it continued till the Dissolution, when, together with the advowson of the living, it was granted by Henry VIII. to Thomas Harvey, from whom it passed to the family of Noel. At the residence of the Noels, called Kirkby Hall, and now one of the seats of the Earl of Chesterfield, Baxter, the nonconformist divine, composed his celebrated work entitled The Saints' Rest, while living under their protection during the rebellion. The parish is in a fertile district, and the surrounding scenery is enriched with timber of stately growth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the patronage of Lady Byron, with a net income of £504: the tithes were commuted for land in 1771. The church is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower surmounted by a light cupola, and contains various interesting monuments. The parsonage-house is beautifully situated, commanding one of the finest views in the county. There is a chapel of ease at Earl-Shilton.