Kirkby-Laythorpe (St. Denis)
KIRKBY-LAYTHORPE (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Sleaford; containing 213 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2400 acres of land of mixed cultivation: the village is seated on the north side of the road leading from Sleaford to Boston. The living is a rectory in medieties (to which the vicarage of Asgarby was united in 1737), valued jointly in the king's books at £9. 12. 6.; net income, £287; patron, the Marquess of Bristol: the impropriation of Asgarby belongs to Sleaford almshouses. The church was principally built in the fifteenth century, and has a low embattled tower, and a Norman door with some portions in the early, and others in the later, English style. There once existed another church, dedicated to St. Peter, the place having formed two parishes until 1593.