Kirkby-Ireleth (St. Cuthbert)
KIRKBY-IRELETH (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ulverston; containing 3449 inhabitants, and including the chapelries of Broughtonin-Furness, Seathwaite, and Woodland with Heathwaite, the township of Dunnerdale, the districts of Low-Quarter and Middle-Quarter, and the extra-parochial places of Waitham-Hill, Mosshouses, Marshfield, and Herdhouse. The parish is separated from that of Millom, in the county of Cumberland, by the river Duddon, which falls into the Irish Sea; it comprises, exclusively of waste and common, about 1000 acres of inclosed and cultivated land, with a tolerable portion of wood. The soil is of a clayey nature, alternated with tracts of lighter quality, and there are some good meadows; quarries are wrought of dark blue slate, which is conveyed to distant places. Railway communication has been opened up, to Whitehaven on the one side, and to Ramsyde, on Morecambe bay, on the other. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £125; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church contains several ancient monuments, and the windows exhibit some beautiful specimens of stained glass. There are chapels at Broughton-in-Furness, Woodland, and Seathwaite.