Kirkby-in-Malham-Dale (St. James)
KIRKBY-IN-MALHAM-DALE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Settle, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (E. S. E.) from Settle; containing, with the townships of Airton, Calton, Hanlith, Malham, Malham-Moor, Otterburn, and Scosthorpe, 947 inhabitants, of whom 195 are in the township of Kirkby. The parish comprises by computation 22,130 acres, whereof 1590 are in this township; the land, for the greater part, is laid out for grazing, producing herbage of very fine quality, and a considerable portion is high moor. The village is situated in a deep valley, sheltered by the indigenous ash, and watered by the river Aire. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £89; patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is a large and handsome building, of the style that prevailed in the reign of Henry VII., and is the burial-place of the Lambert family, of whom General Lambert was distinguished, on the side of Cromwell, in the civil war: in the parish register is the signature of Cromwell, as having witnessed a marriage; and one of the bells was presented by Lambert. The free grammar school was founded in 1606, by John Topham, who endowed it with some land which, with £10 per annum given by Mr. B. Lambert, and £200 three per cent. consols. by Ann Nelson, and subsequent bequests, yields an income of £22.