Kirkby-in-Ashfield (St. Wilfrid)
KIRKBY-IN-ASHFIELD (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxstow and of the county of Nottingham, 5¼ miles (S. W.) from Mansfield; containing 2143 inhabitants. This parish, which extends along the border of the county of Derby, comprises by computation 5690 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The soil of the western portion is a light mould, resting on limestone, and of the eastern or forest portion, sandy; the surface is hilly, and the scenery agreeably diversified. In the northern part are five coal-mines in operation, and some quarries of excellent limestone, for the conveyance of which, and of the produce of the mines, facilities are afforded by the Mansfield railway to Pinxton, in the county of Derby, which passes through the parish. The small rivers Leen, Maun, and Erewash have their sources here, and afford an abundant supply of water. The village is large, and chiefly inhabited by persons engaged in frame-work knitting and the making of bobbin-net, which afford employment to about 500 persons. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 1. 8.; gross income, £730; patron, the Duke of Portland. The tithes were commuted for land under acts of inclosure in 1795 and 1804. The church is an ancient structure, in the earlier and later Norman styles, with a lofty tower; the nave is separated from the aisles on one side by a range of circular, and on the other by a series of pointed, arches. The hamlet of Kirkby-Woodhouse contains a chapel. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school, erected by subscription in 1826, is maintained by the Duke of Portland, the rector, and the parish; another is supported by the Butterley Company, the duke, and rector; and a third by the duke and rector only.