Kirkby-Fleetham (St. Mary)
KIRKBY-FLEETHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bedale, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Catterick; containing 657 inhabitants. It includes the hamlets of Great and Little Fencotes, Low Fields, Low-Street, and Salutation; and comprises by measurement 2973 acres, of which 1290 are arable, 1651 pasture, and 32 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £474, and the vicarial for £288; the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church is a large fabric with a lofty tower, and contains some memorials to the Stapyltons, the ancient lords of the manor. The remains of a castle and its moat are visible.