Kirkby, East (St. Nicholas)
KIRKBY, EAST (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Spilsby; containing 436 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2000 acres, of which the soil is partly a rich marly loam, partly sand and gravel, and in the fens peat moor; the surface to the north is hilly, and towards the south flat, and the lands are drained by a wide catchwater, used as a canal. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 1.; net income, £153; patron and impropriator, C. Turnor, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1806. The church is a neat structure. A charity school is endowed with land producing £60 per annum, bequeathed by Gregory and Margaret Croft in 1719; it is open also to the children of Miningsby parish.