Kirkby (St. Andrew)
KIRKBY (St. Andrew), with Osgodby, a parish, in the union of Caistor, N. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4¾ miles (N. W.) from Market-Rasen; containing 474 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation about 2000 acres; it is chiefly arable land, with some large fir plantations, and the scenery at the foot of the Wolds is very pleasing. The road from Caistor to Market-Rasen passes on the east. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Owersby, and valued in the king's books at £8. 18. 4.: the tithes were commuted for about 140 acres of land, in 1803. The church, though much modernised, appears to have been originally of Norman architecture; in the chancel are some ancient tombs. There are two places of worship for Methodists, and a Roman Catholic chapel. Thomas Goodrich, Bishop of Ely, and lord chancellor in the reign of Edward VI., was born here.