Kirk-Burn (St. Mary)
KIRK-BURN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Driffield, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Eastburn, Southburn, and Tibthorpe, 508 inhabitants, of whom 149 are in the township of Kirk-Burn, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Driffield. The parish comprises by measurement 5926 acres. The soil in those parts at the foot of the Wolds is well adapted for wheat; while that of the township of Tibthorpe, which is of great elevation, rising into the Wolds, is of lighter quality. The village is small, and situated on an acclivity in the narrow vale of a rivulet. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 10. 2½., and in the gift of the Crown; net income, £82; impropriators, Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., and others. The church, an ancient edifice, has undergone many repairs; part of the chancel was rebuilt in 1819.