Kirk-Bride (St. Bridget)
KIRK-BRIDE (St. Bridget), a parish, in the union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, and E. division of the county of Cumberland, 5¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Wigton; containing 372 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north and east by the river Wampole, comprises 1605a. 3r. 37p. Its soil is partly a strong clay alternated with fine deep loam, well adapted for grain, and affording rich pasture; and partly of a heathy nature, with a considerable portion of moss. The surface is uniformly level, with the exception of an eminence towards the north, on which are situated the church and rectory-house, commanding diversified and extensive views. The village is on the south bank of the Wampole, in which the sand-banks are so often shifted by the violent meeting of the tides and freshes, that no bridge hitherto erected has been able to withstand their united force. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £230; patron, the Rev. J. Halifax: the tithes were commuted for land in 1810. The church was built before the Conquest. The Society of Friends have a meeting-house.