Kirby-on-the-Moor (All Saints)
KIRBY-ON-THE-MOOR (All Saints), a parish, in the wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 1 mile (N.) from Boroughbridge; comprising the townships of Kirby and Langthorpe, and part of the township of Humberton with Milby; and containing 655 inhabitants, of whom 202 are in the township of Kirby. This parish, which is separated from that of Aldborough by the river Ure, consists of about 3200 acres, whereof 1164 are in Kirby township; of the latter, 911 are arable, 233 meadow and pasture, and 20 wood and waste. The soil is fertile, producing good crops of barley and turnips; the surface is elevated, and the surrounding scenery pleasingly diversified. The village is situated on an eminence commanding a view of sixteen churches, the cathedrals of York and Ripon, Craike and Sheriff-Hutton castles, and the Hambleton hills; a fair, chiefly for sheep, is held in it on the 23rd of June. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 6½., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £335: the glebe comprises 100 acres, and there is a commodious glebe-house, built in 1840. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower.