KIRBY-KNOWLE, a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Bagby with Islebeck, and the township of Balk, 553 inhabitants, of whom 147 are in the township of Kirby-Knowle, 4¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Thirsk. The township is in a romantic valley, inclosed by an amphitheatre of hills, and comprises by computation 1559 acres, of which 788 are arable, 394 pasture and meadow, and about 360 wood and waste. The village is beautifully situated, and near it is an ancient mansion called New Building, which commands a fine view over the adjacent country. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 1.; net income, £415; patron, Sir R. Frankland, Bart. The tithes of the township of Kirby-Knowle have been commuted for £180, and the glebe consists of 54 acres. The church is a small structure, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1815. There is a chapel of ease at Bagby.