Kirby-Cane (All Saints)
KIRBY-CANE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W.) from Beccles; containing 458 inhabitants. This parish derives its name, originally Kirkby-Camp, of which its modern appellation is a corruption, from an ancient camp at Pewters' Hill, where, about the year 1815, several skeletons, celts, and various warlike instruments, were turned up by the plough. Near the church is the Hall, a handsome mansion. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of Lord Berners: the tithes have been commuted for £425, and the glebe comprises 41 acres. The church is in the early English style, with a circular tower and other Norman details; the east window has been embellished with ancient stained glass by Lord Berners. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.