Kington (St. James)
KINGTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Pershore, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, though locally in the Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 9¾ miles (E.) from Worcester; containing 151 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Alcester to Worcester, and by the North Piddle river; and consists of 988 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £99; patron, Thomas Bowater Vernon, Esq. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, by an act of inclosure, in 1781; and under the recent tithe act, a rent-charge of £4 has been awarded. There are 17 acres of glebe, and a house. The church stands near the centre of the village, and is a neat stone edifice with 92 sittings.