Kingstone (St. Giles)
KINGSTONE (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Kinghamford, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 5¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Canterbury; containing 310 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Dovor, and comprises by measurement 1540 acres, of which 134 are in wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16, and in the gift of the family of Brydges: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises 15 acres. The church, which was built prior to the Reformation, is principally in the decorated style, and contains several handsome monuments. On the borders of the parish is a small Roman encampment, called Cæsar's camp, and within it are several tumuli, from which coins and other Roman relics have been taken.