Kingston-Upon-Soar (St. Wilfrid)
KINGSTON-UPON-SOAR (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the county of Nottingham, 1¼ mile (W. S. W.) from Kegworth; containing 181 inhabitants. This place was for many years the residence of the Babington family, who had a spacious mansion here, till the reign of Elizabeth, when one of them was executed for the part he took in a conspiracy for the restoration of Mary, Queen of Scots; there are still some remains of the building. The river Soar and the Midland railway pass through the parish, which comprises 1500 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £66; patron, E. Strutt, Esq.: the glebe consists of 27 acres. The church was rebuilt in 1832, with the exception of the chancel, which is of very ancient date, and contains a magnificent arch, built at a great cost by Babington; it has also some exquisitelycarved screen-work, and a richly-sculptured monument to the Babington family. The parish was the birthplace of the Rev. John Berridge, vicar of Everton, and a friend of the Countess of Huntingdon.