Kingston-Deverill (St. Mary)
KINGSTON-DEVERILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Mere, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 3½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Mere; containing 420 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2640 acres. The soil is generally a flinty loam, resting on chalk, and a considerable portion of the land is appropriated to the pasture of sheep. The surface is undulated, and some of the slopes are well wooded; the lower grounds are watered by a rivulet called the Deve-Rill, which is supplied from springs issuing from the chalk, and flows through the village, which is situated in a narrow valley between two chalk hills. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 15.; net income, £308; patron, the Marquess of Bath. The church, having been rebuilt by the family of the marquess, was consecrated on the last day of August, 1847; it is in the style of the latter part of the 13th century. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in the year 1782; the glebe altogether comprises about 350 acres.