Kingston-Bagpuize (St. James)
KINGSTON-BAGPUIZE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 6¼ miles (W.) from Abingdon; containing 290 inhabitants. A sharp skirmish took place here between the army of the parliament and the royalists, when the former were defeated and driven back, on May 27th, 1644. The parish is situated on the road from Oxford to Bath, and comprises by measurement 1070 acres. A quarry here produces good stone for building. The river Isis flows within a distance of two miles, and is navigable as high as Lechlade. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 5½.; net income, £298; patrons, the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, rebuilt in 1800, is a neat structure. A school was endowed in 1736, by John Blandy and his son, the income of which is about £45 per annum.