KINGSGATE, a hamlet, in the parish of St. Peter, union of Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3 miles (W. S.W.) from Margate, upon the coast road to Broadstairs. On the shore is an opening in the cliff, formerly called Bartholomew's Gate, through which Charles II., accompanied by the Duke of York, passed, when he landed here in 1683: this was afterwards called Kingsgate, and the event was recorded by a Latin inscription, in letters of brass, but the whole has been washed away by the sea within these few years. The second lord Holland erected a villa here, on the model of that of Cicero at Baix, with numerous curious buildings which adorned the grounds. The mansion has been converted into five respectable houses, and the ornamental erections which remain, are, the convent, the mews, a small castle in imitation of those built by Henry VIII. for the protection of the coast, Harley Tower, Whitfield Tower, erected on the highest spot in the Isle, and Countess Fort; the convent and mews have been converted into handsome residences.