Kingham (St. Andrew)
KINGHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Chipping-Norton; containing 555 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the river Evenlode, which separates it from the county of Gloucester; and comprises by admeasurement 1841 acres, of which 1081 are arable, 445 meadow, and 245 common. The soil in some parts is a rich loam, in others clay alternated with gravel; the surface has a gentle slope towards the south, and the meadows and pastures are occasionally subject to inundation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 11. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. W. Lockwood, whose tithes have been commuted for £685. 15., and whose glebe comprises 100 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style, with a tower; the chancel was erected by an ancestor of the present incumbent, who also built the rectoryhouse, in 1685.