KIMBLESWORTH, formerly a parish, in the union of Durham, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Durham; containing 33 inhabitants, and comprising 690 acres of land. This was an ancient rectory and peculiar belonging to the convent of Durham. The foundations of the church, which was a small structure, may be traced in a field a little south of the village; and to the north of the place are some remains of the embankments which formed the ancient vivarium de Kymblesworth, mentioned in a charter of Bishop Pudsey's. The village, now reduced to a few cottages, is situated not far distant from the great north road. The living, which is valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 8., was united in 1593 to the perpetual curacy of Witton-Gilbert.