Kilve (St. Mary)
KILVE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 11½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Bridgwater; containing 240 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Minehead to Bristol, and comprises by measurement 1605 acres, of which 617 are common or waste. Limestone is extensively quarried, chiefly for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Stringston united, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 8., and in the gift of Balliol College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £211. 10., and the glebe comprises 57 acres. The church is a neat plain edifice. There is a place of worship for Independents.