KILTON, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Brotton, union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 6¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Guisborough; containing 86 inhabitants. It is called in Domesday book Chiltune, and was granted by the Conqueror to the family of Brus, from whom the estate passed to the Lumleys, and from them to the Tullies, Waughs, and others. There was formerly a castle, which, with the lordship, belonged to the ancient family of Thweng. The township is in the district of Cleveland, and comprises about 1510 acres of land; it is situated on the Havenclose beck, which shortly after runs into the sea, and the scenery is on the whole of an interesting kind. A tithe rent-charge of £282 is paid to the Archbishop of York.