Kilnwick (All Saints)
KILNWICK (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York; comprising the townships of Beswick, Bracken, Kilnwick, and part of Lockington; and containing 627 inhabitants, of whom 251 are in the township of Kilnwick, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Beverley. The parish is situated at the foot of the Wolds, and the township consists of 1692a. 1r. 17p. There are quarries of chalkstone, which, when burnt into lime, makes excellent mortar, and, when mixed with the clayey land in a pulverised state, adds greatly to its fertility. The road from Beverley to Driffield passes through the parish; and a good parish highway leads from the village to the navigable river Hull, about four miles distant. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £101; patron and impropriator, Colonel Grimston: the vicarial tithes were commuted at the inclosure of the parish, in 1786, for 63 acres of land. The church is an ancient structure; on the south side is a fine Norman entrance arch.