Kilmersdon (St. Peter and St. Paul)
KILMERSDON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Frome, hundred of Kilmersdon, E. division of Somerset, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Frome; containing, with the hamlets of Charlton, Coleford, Luckington, and Lypiate, 2143 inhabitants, of whom 563 are in the village of Kilmersdon. This parish, which has for many generations been the property of the Jolliffe family, comprises by computation 3400 acres. Coal is found, and a mine is now in full operation; there are also quarries of stone, which is used for building, but chiefly for mending roads. The village, which is spacious and well built, was in compliment to the late T. S. Jolliffe, Esq., the presiding magistrate of the hundred, made one of the judicial divisions of the county; and petty-sessions are held here at stated intervals. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 6½., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, J. T. Jolliffe, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £376, and the vicarial for £243. 17. The church is in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower, crowned by pinnacles, and of light and graceful proportions. A district church and parsonage-house were completed at Coleford in 1831. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.