Killingholme (St. Denis)
KILLINGHOLME (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, E. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 12 miles (N. W. by W.) from Great Grimsby; containing 681 inhabitants, of whom 181 are in North, and 500 in South, Killingholme. The parish is bounded by the river Humber, and comprises by measurement 5130 acres, of which 2630 are in North Killingholme. Within the last few years, two lighthouses have been erected on the bank of the river, in the township of South Killingholme, by the Brethren of the Trinity House at Hull; prior to which, the chief landmark for mariners was the tower of the church. The old manor-house is still inhabited by descendants of the ancient lords of the manor, who were raised to the peerage by the titles of Earls of Warrington and Barons de la Mere, now possessed by the Earls of Stamford. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Habrough united in 1740, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 4.; net income, £285;patron and impropriator, the Earl of Yarborough. The tithes were commuted for land in 1776;the glebe comprises 130 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a handsome embattled tower, which is crowned by pinnacles. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.